Wednesday, September 16, 2015

On the table now - More Khorne Cultists

After finishing my test mini, the next step in a big project is getting the recipe down and speed up the process. 

The minis begin by being sprayed black and then basecoated brown with Mournfang Brown. It takes two passed of overbrushing to get a solid brown coat. I have to be careful not to let the paint pool or it will ruin detail. An advantage of basing the minis brown is that the client also wants the base painted and drybrushed in brown tones. Twofer. 

The red cloth gets a basecoat of Khorne Red and then washed in Agrax Earthshade with everything else. 

The phrase "the entire model gets washed in Agrax Earthshade/Dev Mud" never fails to get my hackles up as too many people use it as an easy button. This has resulted in lot of dark, muddy brown armies if nothing is done after the wash. Two of my armies (Space Wolves and Iron Warriors) are washed in Agrax Earthshade but afterwards they are touched up, highlighted and detailed. 

/minirant

To that end, the washed Khorne Red is touched up with Khorne Red again and then highlighted wih Wazdakka Red. The client requested this pattern and I like it for the most part. When I painted my Berserk, I struggled with making them look different from my Blood Angles. At the time I was not as skillful with red as I am now so I used Devlin Mud rather than red or black wash on the Khornate minis and still highlighted with Blood Red. They were OK but not very impressive. 

The skin is based in Tallaran Flesh and then covered completely with the old Dwarf flesh. Then it is washed in the old Orgyn Flesh. After that there is a touch up of Dwarf Flesh.

A small departure from this is the scars. After the basecoat, the scar is painted with Khorne Red to tie it into the red cloth. I painted Dwarf Flesh over the scar and left plenty of red showing. The scar is washed with the rest of the skin and then touched up with Dwarf flesh again. 

The metals are pretty simple. I painted Ironbreaker over the brown and left plenty of the base color showing. It is washed with the rest of the mini and touched up with Runefang Steel.


No comments:

Post a Comment