Monday, March 18, 2013

And two more Assault Marines.


So I have those Assault Marines drying on the sideboard and I get to counting. I see that there are 16 of them and that makes two groups of 8. I thought to myself, "Man, if only I had two more then I could make two full squads of 9 each." (I keep my Sargents separate) Then I get to thinking that I did have two full squads! That's when I found these two stragglers in the foam. 

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Blood Angles Assault Marines

I took my close combat boys out of their foam form some touch ups. I magnetized the backpacks so I can give them a ride at -35 points thanks to my BA codex. The down side is that the backpacks are damaging the shoulder pads and vica versa. I touched up the respective parts an then gave all the problem areas a coat of Microscale Micro Flat. That is the old school was back when wargamers had to hang on the coat tails the model train kids. 

Now they have to sit out for a few days to make sure they are super-dry. If I did not, then the sticky sides of the problem areas would peal each other apart. So they are riding the bench.

Every one of these models has loads of character. Each one has a unique pose and detailed wargear. I even went so far as to customize their grenades by hacking apart frag and krak grenades and making custom sets. They all have Assault Marine shoulderpads from GW. I have one guy with two axes as CCW with no Bolt Pistol. Just to even things out, I have a guy toting a pair of pistols and no CCW. There is a guy kneeling as if he just landed a low blow and is caught frozen in his backswing. 

But looking back, these are some broken old models. The primer on the older ones is way thick. the paint is sloppy. On more than half, the clear coat is so think, it makes them look like balloon marines. The heavy primer also ruined the grass by making it look like green glass spikes. 

I learned a lot from those broken old boys. How far we have come.  

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Finished - 3 Obliterators

I finished three Obliterators and you can too! They turned out pretty well. I was working from some busted and incomplete old minis that I got in a trade so reconstructing the arms was difficult. there are a few plastic bits that had to be thrown in to fill all the little slots. 

Most noticeable is the swap of bare heads for Terminator heads. One of the minis that I got was missing a head and had an old metal CSM Terminator head in place. I could have made a stink about this but I actually liked the effect. 

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Step by Step: Painting Chaos Daemons Bloodletters

This is my first attempt at a step-by-step painting guide. Some of the pictures did not turn out as well as I would have liked but the guide will hopefully not suffer too much for it.

After painting over a company of Blood angles, I am sick of painting red the conventional way. With the Bloodletters, I wanted to go with something a little different than what I've done in the past.