They took forever because they were so detailed and involve so many different colors. From an armlength, they just look like overly black minis with a smattering of blue and red, but up close I used at least 6 different color techniques on each mini. I tried to keep it simple, but I could not resist adding details. Fir instance, the Tyranid skull on the Raven guard base is washed with a purple wash to tie it into the purple that I am using on the Genestealer Cultists.
I am sticking to the 25 mm bases on these minis rather than using the new 30 mm bases because the Deathwatch minis I already have are on the 25 mm bases and I think the change is dumb. Though, it would have been useful for stability on these minis with a high and heavy center of gravity.
The plan is to paint up three metal Vanguard Veterans as Deathwatch Marines. I am never going to use all the Vanguard Vets that I currently have and they make great Deathwatch Marines. They make it difficult to select wargear and all of them have at least one arm in a static position. For Chapters, I have selected Ultramarines, Salamanders and a Blood Angel of sorts. I can't decide if I want to try and free hand a Flesh Tearers symbol on a Marine or wuss out and use a BA decal.