Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On the table now - Ork Wrecker


My idea for the Ork army currently under construction is to have each unit painted in different Clan colors but to use them ironically. For instance, most folks paint their Bikers as Speed Freaks because they like to go fast. So many folks do this, in fact, that it has become cliche. My plan is to pair the units and Clans in ways that you would not expect. I know that I have talked about this before, but this is the first example of an ironic unit. 

I bought this mini on eBay for about $25 which brings it in $10+ under a GW Trukk even with shipping. it is 1:32 scale which puts it a little big for 40k vehicles. The tires are just about the same size as Trukk tires so this should work fine. The plan is to combine this kit with some Ork bits and turn it into the Wrecker for my Speed Freak Lootas. The only real challenge I can see will be mounting the crane in such a way that will make it interchangeable with other turrets. 

Lootas are the thieves and scavengers of the Ork world. If you have a bigger gun than they do and they can take it, they will. They love krumping their foes and bringing the busted loot back the Meks for them to build the Lootas the biggest and loudest guns. To this end, I plan to use them in this fashion on the battlefield. In order to drag off the best weapons, they need a fast vehicle equipped for this. 

I am not the first person with this idea. Bill King has set the bar really high with his Ork Wrecker. It is so good that it could have been a GW Kit or better. It is impossible to tell that it is almost all scratch built. I've copied some of the pics below, but they are all his work and not mine. I don't know that I'll get to do many WIP pictures but I will be using his work as inspiration. 








No comments:

Post a Comment