Sunday, February 2, 2020

Finished - 3D Printed Dice Case

 Well, hello there.

Long time, old friend. It is not that I have not been busy but I have not been blogging in over a year. Lots of things have happened.

I have fallen out of that 40k scene starting in the Summer of 2008. Since moving from Seattle to the boonies, I have met some awesome gamers but for the most part the quality of opponents was pretty poor. I don't think this is a function of my location but rather a comment on 40k in general. Back in 2008 in North Carolina, the few people that played were... frustrating to play against to say the least. I found the amount and quality of players in Seattle better but still really only played against a few people. Even before we left, I found that I played less and less and continued to enjoy the hobby aspects.


I found a few people that I enjoyed to play against out here but really got turned off by the changes from 6th to 8th edition. I have not played at all since the start of 8th and have really fallen out with 40k in general.

I still painted but it was most one offs, RPing minis, commission work and minis from other games. The site that I did my commission work for went under and I never really pursued it after that. I got bored, and more than a little frustrated, with trying to sell painted minis on Bartertown and Reddit. I started RPing more and painting less to the point that my paints were drying up from not being used.

I also picked up a new hobby in September of 2019. I got an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer. Printing, tuning, rebuilding, repairing and upgrading the printer has been almost like a full time job. I've learned a ton and it has only been a few months.

Lately, I have started getting back into painting. I've made a Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Han Solo blaster and a bunch of smaller projects. People always comment on how well they are painted and I credit my mini-work for the attention to detail.

The latest finished project is the subject of this post, the dice holder. I found the model on Thingiverse and modified it on Tinkercad by adding the D&D logo. I printed it in wood PLA and was underwhelmed by how it turned out. I think I printed it too well and the eliminated the wood effect. It didn't really sand or stand like wood at all. Since it didn't look like wood, I painted the outside. I added some magnets from KJ Magnetics and the results are great. There is room enough for a bunch of dice, a mini and some pens. Everything an adventurer needs to get started. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I only know one Charles! It is nice to return to blogging. It is not going to be as focused as it has been but it will be more regular.

      Delete