Sunday, April 29, 2018

Finished - Alpha Legion Terminators

Deleted the in-progress post about these minis. This is another in the series of of Alpha Legionaries for a Vyndica client. I talked him into the smoother lines of the Tartaros Terminators with the intent of "Chaosing them up" later. Initially, I thought this would be pretty easy, but when it came down to it I was flummoxed on how to make them look more like Chaos Marines.

I had a bunch of spiky bits left over from a CSM Terminator project and in a moment of inspiration, I just glued them to the sides of torso. I could have tried to dremel out channels on the sides to make them fit flush, but that would have been a lot of work with high risk for wrecking the minis.


I did a basic head swaps to make them look different and more corrupted. I was going to get some knock off Forge World shoulder pads but the project had dragged on for long enough. I settled on using some Chaos star transfers on the left shoulders. The green hydra transfers from the basic CSM transfer sheet didn't work well on the blue-green armor so I just went plain on the right shoulders.

I painted the armor in the same way as the Chaos Lord. I started with a Runefang Steel base followed by a Biel-Tan green wash. Then I drubrushed the whole mini with Necron Compound followed by Gulliman Blue wash two times with some drybrushing in between. Before finishing, I painted on Biel-Tan green in random areas to add to the iridescent effect.

Now for a little mini rant.

See the plasma weapon in the above picture in the bottom right corner? See the delicately painted glowing effect? Each coil is painted and shaded by hand. Didn't take long but it did take skill and a steady hand.

Now look at the plasma weapon in the image to the right. There is a proliferation of people jumping into the airbrush game thinking it is easier than learning brush skills. Not saying it doesn't take skill to use an airbrush but, like anything else, it does take skill to make it look good. I see so many minis just blasted with paint in an attempt to make object source lighting effects. What is worse, is I see a clamoring for these mediocre techniques as if they are a things to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment