Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Finished - Thunderwolf Cavalry

 It is not all Tau-love here at TMM. I have had this Thunderwolf on my desk ready to be painted for a few months now. The painting went surprisingly fast. I don't know if I have talked about painting wolf tails on this blog and a quick search did not reveal it. It is basically a base of Dheneb Stone and washes of black, dev mud and sepia that are layered to create depth. After that there is either a dry brush of Dheneb Stone or painting on each of the tufts of fur to brighten things up. With all the hair on this wolf, I chose drybrush. I do not have the kind of time.

I am happy with the pose for the most part. I wanted to reposition the head but I traded for this and the head was plastic glued in place. I did not initially want to position his torso sideways but in order to use the hand that has the fist gripping the hair, I had to turn the body. In the end, I like it!
I also wanted to use the chain sword that comes in this box but things did not work out that way.

I really like the extras that come in this box. The heads are awesome. They have lots of crazy beards and character. The buckler-style Storm shields are really awesome. They are really popular bits to trade too if you do not intend to use them. The pouches have runes on them. The backpacks are all unique. I especially like the holstered bolt pistol and would like more of them. 

I am looking forward to using him on the table. I would really like to have them in a group of 3 or 4, but they are cost-prohibitive right now. I would like to Outflank them but I can not figure out how to do that without dropping a HQ unit with them with Saga of the Hunter. That seems really pricey way to do that when they will still have to suffer a round of shooting. In the end, I will probably run them at the enemy.

Three wolves retail for $55 which mean that one should be about $18. The paintjob is pretty standard so I value it about what the mini retails for. That means this bad boy is valued at about $36. 

No comments:

Post a Comment