Sunday, March 5, 2017

Vyndica - Lovecraft

I love Lovecraft. Some parts of his personal live (like the name of his cat) and his early works are problematic, but I love the world that he set up and his writing style. I am sure that he did not originate the concept of "elder gods" but he certainly gave them a direction and focus.

This commission comes from Theklute. He asked for it to be painted like the box art. I think that the miniature is well within my skill level but simple minis can sometimes be harder to paint. Less detail on the mini means that I have to work harder.

The paint job for what I assume is the box art is a little appalling. It is very dark and not much in terms of palate. It is very dark overall except for the torch. I can see the artist tried to do some half-ass object source lighting by making the highlights heavier on the face and shoulders. I can do better.


My pan is to use my pretty much standard way of painting black to do the street. I am going to create depth and variation by over-highlighting some stones and using Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and maybe Gryphonne Sepia.

I am going to do the buttons and the words on the base like bronze. I've had good luck washing Gehenna's Gold and washing it with Agrax Earthshade. A little broken highlight of Runefang Steel finished it off.

I was inspired to hide some green in the suit. I've done a little experimenting with Dark Angels and trying to get that dark green armor but still make it bright. The experiences painting Flayed Ewok's Dark Eldar in that dark purple scheme. I never quite got it as dark as I wanted but liked the end results. I have never done this with green and have never tried anything like this with cloth. I think that I have a good idea about how to pull it off though. I based Dark Angel Green and will drybrush Dawnstone and wash Nuln Oil. I'll have to play it by ear from there.

I mentioned my technique to paint Nurgle flesh to the client and posted a picture but never heard anything back from him other than he would want the beastie "a little more green" than the box art. I am going to try for the putrid green flesh and if he does not like it, I can always darken it down or green it up easily.

I am really nervous about the torch. I've done flames before with pretty good success. Even though I know I have done it well in the past, I am still nervous about pulling this off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment