Saturday, November 8, 2014

Agrellan Earth and Crickle Paint revisited.

After the failure of trying to use Agrellian Earth to paint veins, I decided to give the technique a fair shake by getting some crinkle paint and trying the process they way they described it. 

Normally this would have started with me buying some purpose-made crackle stuff for minis but I didn't want to wait for shipping.  I started my process by trying to get some Weathered Crackle Glaze at Lowe's but sales person said they do not carry that. Now, I have had some experiences with Lowe's where their reps on the floor know nothing about hardware or products so even though I could not find it and the sales person could not find it, I don't know for sure that it is not sold there.

Next, I went to Hobby Lobby. I've never had an opportunity to go to one because there where not where I lived before. Since I moved, there are two very close to me. They don't really have anything a Michael's would not have which is good because they are run by awful awful people.


So, after searching the store for a bit, I give up and ask a sales person. When asked where the crackle paint was she replied, "I dunno." Then she shrugged her shoulders and walked off. Didn't try to help me find it or have any thoughtful or useful advice. I don't know that I have ever had someone be so unfriendly and unhelpful in a retail store before.

I asked another sales person and he walked me across the store and helped me find almost what I wanted. It was in the paint section with easels and big brushes and not in the hobby section with the models and Testor's paints. It cost $15 which was way more than I wanted to pay and the container was almost a liter.

Irregardless, I got what I needed to repeat the test.

In the top photo I tried to recreate my version of what Caleb did but with more contrasting colors. I painted the veins on my Bloodthirster blue to contrast with his red skin. His idea of red and light red makes no sense. As you can see it does not look quite right. I don't find this superior to painting on veins. You have no control over the end results. You can't easily highlight or shade the end result of the product.

Caleb also supposes that his magical technique could also be used to easily paint marble. He makes no effort in testing the hypothesis but makes that naked assertion. The second picture demonstrates this. Just like the veins, this technique make really crappy-looking marble that is difficult to fix. There are dozens of tutorials on how to easily paint (actually paint) marble.

The third picture demonstrates that, just like the last picture and point, this technique does not work for painting lightning effects on power weapons. The end result looks awful. Just like the other points, there are tutorials for painting the effect easily that look a lot better than using crackle paint.

He also talks about using this to paint wood grain easily but anyone can see that won't work. His example looks nothing like what crinkle paint looks like when it dries. You simply do not get parallel lines with crackle paint and to propose that is idiotic.

The article is titled "HOBBY: Painting Veins the EASY Way" but there is no actual painting. It may be easy but it is bush league. The end result does not look good at all in any circumstance. Painting is about challenging yourself, developing skill, learning new techniques and improving your end product. This article is the antithesis of that. Following the instructions contained within it retards your panting skills and has the result of ugly, poorly-painted models on the table.

The question that we are left with is, "Does Crinkle paint have any place in mini gaming?" The answer would be a qualified yes. It may have a place on terrain like statues, ruins or game boards but it has no place on minis. It does not do veins, marble, wood grain, or lightning well at all. It looks awful. If you want these effects you would be better served by learning some simple techniques. In the end you will have a better end product and will be a better painter for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment